A fabulous cookbook, The Jam ’n’ Brie Cookbook 2010, has been compiled to raise the funds to send 81 young people from Essex to the 22nd World Scout Jamboree. We browsed its recipe pages to pick out a tasty camp favourite. Here’s the tried-and-tested recipe for camp doughnuts.
To serve a hungry Patrol!
- 2 eggs
- 200g plain flour
- milk or water
- 1 loaf of white bread
- jam/chocolate spread or any other filling that sounds tasty
- vegetable oil for cooking
- sugar to serve
- Mix the eggs and the flour with milk or water until you get the thickness of double cream – leave to stand.
- Cut the slices of bread in half. Spread one side with the filling of your choice and fold up to make a sandwich.
- Dip in the batter mix.
- Cook in hot oil on both sides until golden brown and crispy.
- Cover in sugar and eat. Watch out, as the filling will be hot.
Note: You can use a pre-made pancake mix if preferred – just make it a bit thicker than normal.